Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter, New Beginnings...


...and a new lease on life


Holy Week was busy and hectic, musically and otherwise.  I began the week singing with a church choir where I've been assisting as a soprano reinforcement.  Springtime where I live is challenging in some ways because of allergies, and my hay fever has started to give me a little trouble.  Compounding this issue is the fact that my allergy pill of choice is no longer available in the U.S.  (Thanks so much to all the Meth Makers of America, for using good medicine to make bad poison, thus making my particular good medicine impossible to get now.)  So last Monday and Tuesday I spent the day at home with snotty nose, sore throat and cranky disposition.  If I'm not careful, allergy congestion can settle and become an infection, either going into nose and ears or down into throat and chest.  So I stayed home and treated my symptoms the best ways I knew how.

Those 2 crash and medicine days helped enough to get me through Holy Week and Easter services with my voice more or less intact, for which I am grateful.  It's been cooler and wetter here than normal for springtime.  We actually concluded the Good Friday service outside in a chilly, misting rain.  After being "in-between" churches for a long time, it was wonderful to participate in these services and to share music with this choir and church family.

So much for the musical and spiritual life portion of this post.  On to the shrinking portion.  My Easter dress was a size MEDIUM!  Most people would not recognize this as anything especially important, but plus-size and/or formerly plus-size folk know that to fit into a size medium is a big deal indeed.  And the dress I chose was an actual springtime color, a medium blue knit with short sleeves, ankle-length, with a tie at the empire waist.  I had ordered it online from a clothing line I've worn and loved for years, from my largest size until now.  The color I wanted was not available in the size large that I thought I needed, so I prayed and ordered the medium.

I had an "epiphany" moment when I got to church and saw myself in the full length mirror inside the choir robe closet.  The dress not only fit me, but it looked really nice.  Smooth, not clingy or bunchy anywhere, no lumps, bumps or bulges showing.  It didn't even look like me!

But there I stood, looking at myself, not looking like myself...at least, not the way I used to look.  I know this post has focused a lot on the visual aspect of shrinkage.  The thing is, the outside appearance is just a visual sign of what is happening on the inside.   My body is getting healthier and stronger.  My hips and ankles feel so much better.  My heart and lungs have a better chance to work the way they are supposed to.

Springtime, and Easter especially, bring the hope of renewal, revival and a fresh start.  And that is what weight loss surgery has helped me to find, a fresh start and the hope of renewal for my health.  I am so grateful for the chance to regain a healthier life, not just for me but for the people I share my life with.        

No comments:

Post a Comment