Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tests, Trials And Temptations


Updates from recent doctor visits and testing

The results from my Slam-O-Gram came in the mail, and The Girls have a clean bill of health!  Everything there was "negative/benign" according to the evaluation, so, barring any unforeseen issues, I don't have to go back for a year.  Unfortunately, my iron check was not quite as good.  While taking the iron supplement has helped and my iron level is improved, I am still deficient/anemic, so I have to continue taking the extra iron until I get my 1-year labs drawn at the end of May.  And I will run by Dr. Awesome's office this week to get my liver panel rechecked since some of those levels were "a tad elevated" at my physical in February.

My weight plateau seems to have broken, in part most likely due to a visit from The Cramp Fairy.  It was not a particularly heavy period this time, but it was more than just spotting, and enough to trigger a 4-day headache once it was over.  My uterus is confused and so am I.  Anyway, I skipped pounds 114 and 115 and went straight to a total of 116 pounds lost to date.  I was told prior to surgery that the weight loss would slow down, so it doesn't surprise me.  It can be annoying, but I just have to stick with the plan and be patient while this last leg of the shrinking phase happens.  I have gone through way too much and come way too far to let anything derail me.

The trial of the Valentine's Day candy frenzy came and went without too much hooplah.  But the Easter candy craze has special significance and comes with more temptation, in the form of Reese's Eggs.  My Mama loved  her some Reese's Eggs (which was a little odd, since she didn't have any special fondness for the peanut butter cups that were around all year).  So the eggs were something she and I would share around Easter.  Once she became too ill to do her own shopping, I would stock her up on them, and the last Easter before she died, I bought her a big bunch of the 6-egg trays, some for right then and a lot to freeze and enjoy later in the year.  When she died in December, there were a lot of leftover eggs still in the freezer.  Dad wasn't eating chocolate and would never eat them, so I gradually worked my way through them over the course of the next year.  I even took one to Mama's grave right before Easter the first year she was gone, sat at her grave talking to her and eating my Reese's Egg, almost like a little picnic.  I was glad the cemetery was deserted because if anyone had seen this little repast they would have called the men with the white coats to "come and get this crazy fat lady talking to herself and eating chocolate!"

The Hubs knows all about my history with Reese's Eggs and why they are so special, and he very thoughtfully bought one for me the other night.  Only one, not a package, which was the thoughtful part.  And I ate it yesterday while I was at work, half in the morning and half later on.  I enjoyed it, the flavor and texture...but most of all, I enjoyed the memories of all the times Mama and I shared them.

So I yielded to a little temptation.  That is going to happen from time to time.  The difference now is that I stopped at one and was satisfied with that.  After Easter is over, the eggs will be gone for another year, but other temptations will always be around.  Stepping on the scale and seeing 116 pounds gone from my body is a big motivator to stick to the plan most of the time, and to return to it quickly after those moments when I stray a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment