Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ribs, Recognition and Reunions


More new experiences in shrinkage


Life for the Shrinking Diva continues to be interesting and full, happy and sad and...rich.  I'll start with a couple of "wow" moments.  I felt my ribs a few days ago.  I've been conscious of more bones making their presence known for a while now.  It began one night in bed when I realized that my arm was stretched down along the side of my body and I could feel my hipbone and the muscle there.  Then my collarbones started to become visible and feel-able.  Now it is the ribs.  They don't stick out or anything, but I can feel them, which I can't remember doing in forever.

Today I had an appointment and afterward I ran by to see The Hubs at his work and sign something that needed my signature before it could be faxed.  He and I were standing at the fax machine and his boss came down into the lobby, nodded and smiled courteously.  In a minute or two, after the receptionist mentioned my name, she laughed and came over to hug me.  She had not recognized me.  Granted, we don't see each other often, but still, it's the first time someone has failed to recognize me.  It was both weird and cool.  Another "first" to go into the books (and the blog!).  This kind of moment happens for most weight loss patients at least once, and most find it gratifying to realize that their appearance has changed so dramatically, that their hard work and efforts are indeed visible.

The appointment I had earlier in the day was to meet with Randy, my supervisor from CPE.  I had made a batch of Christmas goodies (the recipe is called "White Trash" and it's definitely a special-occasion-not-weight-loss-friendly candy treat) to take for the department to snack on and enjoy during the coming week just as a small Christmas token.  It was nice to make something to share without the compulsion to eat it!  I had a bite of it with Randy today, and the one bite satisfied me.  Seeing him was a joyful reunion for me and we had a great visit.

It was also very well-timed, as these moments usually are.  My cousin Betty (she was married to my cousin Crawford, so she is a cousin by marriage---once you marry into the family, you're in till you die) passed away last Friday and her daughter/my cousin Judy asked if I would sing for the funeral home service, which I agreed to do.  The next day she asked if I would consider conducting the graveside service as well.  It overwhelmed and honored me to be asked to do this, especially since I am not a minister.  After panicking a little and checking with a couple of minister friends to make sure I was "allowed" to do this, I learned that it is indeed permissible for a lay person to conduct a service.  Good to know.  Touching base today with Randy made me feel calmer and more at peace about going ahead with this new experience.  So tonight, I will go to the funeral home to be with my family was we prepare to say goodbye to Betty.  I will sing and try to offer what comfort I can with the voice God gave me.  I will hug and laugh and cry and see family I don't see nearly often enough, some who have not seen the shrinking me.  And tomorrow morning I will preach Betty's graveside service.  Another first for the books.

This year began with the adventure of weight loss surgery preparation and the journey of CPE, blessings of unknown and unknowable scope, a season of new things.  Now I end the year with sadness at the loss of another loved one. Through God's goodness and the faith of my family, I have the opportunity to serve God and my family in an old, familiar way, through music, and in a new way as I commit my loved one to the ground, and into God's heavenly care.  As sweet as the reunions are down here, I cannot begin to imagine the ones to come in Heaven.    


No comments:

Post a Comment