Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Five Months Since Surgery


Election Day


Five months ago today I had my weight loss surgery.  It's hard to believe it's been so long, and yet so short, a time.  My total weight loss is 86 pounds, with 64 more to go until I reach goal weight.  Aside from a nagging headache today, I have felt great lately and I continue to notice improvements in how my joints feel and function.

Today I had several things on the agenda.  First and most fun, I met a longtime friend for lunch.  It had been several years since we had seen each other face to face, although we've been in touch through e-mail, texts and Facebook.  Our old favorite spot to meet was at a buffet restaurant, and that's where we met today as well.  Weight loss patients are generally warned about the possible dangers that await us at buffet places because of the chance we have to overstuff ourselves.  I am happy and relieved to report that I stayed with safe food choices (meat and beans) and I didn't overindulge.  We sat there for 2 hours talking, laughing and catching up on each other's lives.  I left the restaurant pleasantly filled, with both food and conversation.  My lunch companion told me that, not only could he get his arms all the way around me for a hug, but that he could  touch his elbows!  I never really thought about it before, but those are some of the nicest parts about getting smaller... tighter hugs and getting closer to people.

After lunch I went to the weight loss surgeon's to pick up vitamins and protein supplements, then to a local mall for some girly-makeup-type stuff I had run out of.  I haven't power-shopped in a long time, and I didn't today, either.  But I noticed how much easier it was to navigate the mall now that I take up less space.  I am still way large, but less large than I was before surgery.  My CPE peer group met one night last week for supper and one of my peers told me that my arms have become "stick-like".  That's OK by me!

In a couple of weeks I will go to get my first big labs done to check my nutrient levels and make sure I'm within desirable ranges prior to my 6-month post-op checkup.  I will admit that I am a little nervous about my labs and hoping everything will be OK with my bloodwork.  I feel good most of the time, so I hope that's an indication that my levels are all good.

After my other stops were done, I returned to my neighborhood polling place to vote.  It was encouraging to see a decent crowd there.  I gave thanks for the chance I have to cast my ballot.  I didn't even mind standing and waiting in line for the privilege of voting, partly because it didn't hurt my feet and legs to do so!  I don't know who is going to be President in the morning, but I know that I carried out my civic duty today.  In much the same way I approached weight loss surgery, I committed to give myself wholeheartedly to doing what I can do, and trusting God to do what I can't.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment