Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life...

...and of the "very low calorie"  pre-packaged food phase


I turned 48 on Sunday and, after months of medically-supervised weight loss and months of CPE, I celebrated the day by napping, watching some DVRed television I hadn't been able to get around to watching, and more napping.  I've been pretty sleep-deprived so the napping felt especially good.  Lots of Facebook friends posted birthday wishes on my wall, and I have to admit, it is nice to be remembered, even in a 2-second-cyber kind of way.

I'd be remiss if I didn't share the story of my birth as it was passed down to me by my Mama.  I was born on May 20, 1964, a Wednesday morning, at 11:57 am.  Mama always said that her labor with me was short, about 4 hours, and that by the time Dad got her to the hospital all Dr. Shouse had to do was "catch" me as I emerged.  During part of her labor, Mama had to wait for Dad to get ready to face the world by doing all of his "S's" (s**t, shine, shower, shave, shampoo).  Then she made his breakfast, after which he drove her to the hospital for Dr. Shouse to put on his baseball mitt and make like a catcher.  Mama always said I was born singing.  I always figured that, since I was a week overdue, I more likely came out complaining that I'd been awakened from a nap and asking for something to relieve the headache I am sure I had from the moment I was conceived.  Pretty inauspicious beginnings, but really, what could I have done to change it?!

Monday was "meals with friends" day.  I went to support a friend going through a hard time on Monday morning and afterward several of us enjoyed a nice lunch together.  Then I went home, curled up with the dog for yet another nap!  Bliss!  When The Hubs got home, he and I met another friend for supper.  I chose healthy options at both meals, except lunch was probably too carb-heavy.

Yesterday was all about the last few pre-op appointments.  I had an appointment with the sleep center to go over my CPAP use and instances of apnea since my last checkup with them.  After that I had a little free time before going to pre-register for admission and surgery at the hospital where I will undergo my procedure.  I spent that time at my favorite Christian bookstore, browsing and enjoying the quiet atmosphere there, and purchasing a few books to commemorate CPE and surgery.  (I will admit to being a geek in that I often buy books to celebrate/mark an occasion/reward myself for some accomplishment.)  Then off to the hospital I went for pre-registration.

My final stop was at the weight-loss center for my supply of pre-packaged, high-protein, very-low-calorie foods for the final 2 weeks before surgery.  I began that regimen today and as a result, I am hungry, tired, headachey and cranky.  The stomach growls returned today with a vengeance.  I know, though, that this won't last long and it is an important step toward a worthwhile goal.  The Hubs asked how I got along today and I was honest about feeling hungry and irritable.  But I also told him, "I can do anything for a little while."  And I can.

The time is going to fly by, and 2 weeks from today I will have the surgery that is going to change my life.  It's a little strange to try to wrap my head around how close it is now.  God has been so gracious in this journey and I am so grateful for the many times in my life when He has given me a second chance.  That is what this surgery feels like, a second chance...to regain a healthier body, to relieve the aches and pains that have crept up on me in the last few years, to make the most of the life I have left.  Most of all, it will help me to serve Him more effectively, capably and joyfully.  After all He has done for me, I can surely deal with some hunger pangs.



No comments:

Post a Comment