Saturday, July 6, 2013

Thirteen Months Since Surgery

Tests, more tests and, did I mention there were tests?

Today is my 13 month surg-i-versary, and in the past month I have undergone some medical testing related to my still-elevated liver enzymes.  My surgeon referred me to my GI doctor, Dr. Gut-Check, who examined me, ordered 11 vials of blood drawn to check for everything from various types of hepatitis to hemochromotosis, and scheduled an ultrasound.  The ultrasound was fine, as was the bloodwork, with one exception.

My blood workup showed Celiac sprue.  I freaked out and started doing research to see exactly what that could mean.  Celiac disease, an intolerance/allergy to gluten, would mean a radical change in my diet, which has already undergone plenty of radical changes in the last year and a half, thank you very much.  Celiac disease destroys the villi in the intestinal tract, which are little fingerlike projections that help the body absorb nutrients from food.  I am already at a higher risk for nutritional deficiencies because of my surgery. 

Celiac would also be a logistical nightmare.  Separate shelves for food storage (upper shelves for gluten-free foods to keep them from having gluten-food particles fall on them), costly gluten-free shopping, more fine-tooth-comb label reading, constant fear of cross-contamination...the list of concerns is endless.  Dr. Gut-Check also scheduled an upper endoscopy to go into my stomach and small intestine with a lighted scope to look around in there for more information.  The endoscopy was this past Wednesday. When I awoke from the procedure Dr. Gut-Check told me that she took tissue samples to biopsy because she "couldn't really tell anything by looking".  I said, "You mean I still have villi?"  And she responded that I do indeed still have villi, and my paperwork said my mucosa was normal.  Encouraging signs for sure.  But I am still waiting for the biopsy results with some nervousness.

I don't want to have to deal with Celiac disease for about a dozen different reasons, most of which I listed earlier.  The logistics of it are just staggering.  Plus, I am nervous about the possible organ damage that can come from this condition, including liver damage.  My liver levels are where this whole thing started.  I just want to be OK.  I pursued surgery to gain a healthier, stronger life.  And I know that people with Celiac disease can live healthy, strong lives...with LOTS of adjustments.

I am praying that the biopsy results are normal and my liver levels are just a blip on the radar that we'll keep an eye on.  I am praying that Celiac disease is not an issue for me.  I am praying that my intestinal villi stay strong and functional.  Mostly, though, I am praying for the grace to accept whatever comes...the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

No comments:

Post a Comment