Monday, June 18, 2012

By Way of Explanation

How the Blog Got Her Name


I started thinking recently that some people might find the name of my blog a little self-indulgent, or even pompous.  So I wanted to break it down and give a little insight into why I chose the name I chose.  After all, everything has a reason.

"Shrinking" obviously refers to the weight loss part of the journey, the biggest single impetus I had for starting the blog in the first place.  My size and shape, and my feelings about my size and shape, have been a huge force in my life for about as long as I can remember.  In writing about those issues here, as well as chronicling my shrinkage in writing, I hope to put some of my demons to rest and maybe even help some other woman somewhere to feel better about her own body.

"Diva" is a nickname I have had for-pretty-much-ever.  The Italian definition for the word is "goddess", which I know I am definitely NOT.  The American slang meaning for Diva is more a reference to a performer, particularly in the opera world, who can be challenging to work with but has undeniable chops.  I strive to be easy to work with, at least in the musical arena of my life, but I also strive to maintain the musical chops and voice that God gave me.

"Incredible" is the part I thought might give some people pause.  It's not that I am incredible, because I'm not.    And while losing weight may feel incredible to me, it's really not all that miraculous for everyone.  The incredible part is the wonderful things God is allowing me to learn and to experience, in part through the weight loss journey and in part through the rest of my life.  There is a lot more to my life and my world than just weight-loss surgery.  The unit of Clinical Pastoral Education I took part in this past winter and spring did way more to change me than losing weight will do.  God allowed me to take part in some incredible things in that 6 months, wonderful, tragic, humbling, heartbreaking experiences that have left me changed.

My first night on call at the hospital I got to baptize a beautiful, healthy 3-day-old baby boy.  This was unusual for a few reasons.  First of all, I was called to the mother and baby's room in the wee hours of the morning.  Secondly, I went there straight from a trauma downstairs.  Thirdly, when a chaplain is called to baptize an infant, it is usually because the infant has either died or is expected to die shortly.  My opportunity to baptize a healthy baby who was about to go home the next day with his mother was nothing short of...incredible!

As I continue to write these blog entries, I will write about the Shrinking Diva parts of my life, but I also hope to share more of the Incredible as well.  I'm not incredible.  What God is doing in my life is.  And THAT is worth sharing.

2 comments: